TOP RESTAURANTS IN MUNSTER ANNOUNCED AT IRISH RESTAURANT AWARDS 2015
OVER 50 RESTAURANTS, HOTEL RESTAURANTS & CHEFS HONOURED AT PRESTIGIOUS AWARDS
April 14 th 2015, LIMERICK.
The Munster Regional Final of the Irish Restaurant Awards, took place in The Limerick Strand Hotel last night and named the top restaurants in the six counties for 2015.
Over 400 restaurant owners and staff celebrated their hard work and achievements at the Awards, which saw many well-known restaurateurs of Munster, turn out to see if they had won one of the prestigious awards.
Speaking at the awards last night, Chief Executive of the Restaurants Association of Ireland Adrian Cummins said; “The Irish Restaurant Awards celebrate their seventh year this year and have become the Island’s biggest food awards. The credibility that these awards have is reflected in the amount of nominations they received this year- over 30,000 votes were cast across twelve categories, showing that these are the awards that everyone wants to win.
“The Irish restaurant scene is internationally recognised for its high calibre of restaurateurs and chefs. These awards celebrate the people that make the restaurant sector the dynamic and exciting industry it is. They are the people who provide 72,000 jobs to our economy and generate revenue in excess of €2 billion. We’re recognising the talent, hard work and commitment that everyone here gives to the food industry. Tonight, everyone is a winner.”
Following on from their impressive haul of awards in 2013 and 2014, The Tannery won Best Restaurant in Waterford, with Chef Paul Flynn scooping Best Chef in Waterford.
For a full list of winners, see below.
Food outlets were nominated under the categories of Best Restaurant, Best Chef, Best Restaurant Manager, Best Hotel Restaurant, Best Casual Dining, Best Gastro Pub, Best Customer Service, Best Newcomer, Best Wine Experience, Best Emerging Irish Cuisine, Best Kids Size Me and Local Food Hero.
All County winners now compete for the Regional and All Ireland titles which will be announced at the Irish Restaurant Awards in the DoubleTree Hilton Hotel, Dublin on Monday 25th May, 2015.
There are 3 components to phase two of the process. Each element is independently assessed by BDO.
- Mystery Guest Visit (55%) This component of the awards is conducted by Prism Consulting headed by Hugo Arnold, independent food writer and consultant. All County Winners and Dublin Shortlist receive a mystery guest visit throughout the month of April and May.
- National Awards Academy (35%) Our National Awards Academy is made up of representatives from each of the regional judging panels and will meet in May to Judge the County Winners and Dublin Shortlist. The Academy members include food writers, journalists, academics and hospitality magazine editors.
- Menu Judging (10%) All County winners and the Dublin Shortlist in each category are asked to submit a copy of their food and wine menus for judging.
Best Restaurant – Sponsored by Dalcassian & Wakefield Wines
- Clare – Wild Honey Inn
- Cork – Fenn’s Quay Restaurant
- Kerry – West End House
- Limerick – 1826 Adare
- Tipperary – Brocka on the Water
- Waterford – The Tannery
Best Chef – Sponsored by La Rousse Foods
- Clare – David Hurley of The Dining Room at Gregans Castle Hotel
- Cork – Bryan McCarthy of Greenes Restaurant at Hotel Isaacs
- Kerry – Patricia Teahan of Lakeside Restaurant at Carrig Country House
- Limerick – Wade Murphy of 1826 Adare
- Tipperary – Dermot Gannon of The Chapel Dining Room at The Old Convent
- Waterford – Paul Flynn of the Tannery
Best Restaurant Manager in Munster– Sponsored by Tindal Wine and Emiliana Vineyards
- Mairead O’Brien of Nash 19, Cork
Best Hotel Restaurant
- Clare – Earl of Thomond at Dromoland Castle Hotel
- Cork – The Restaurant at The Bayview Hotel
- Kerry – Panorama Restaurant at The Europe Hotel
- Limerick – The Oakroom Restaurant at Adare Manor Hotel
- Tipperary – The Chapel Dining Room at The Old Convent
- Waterford – Zaks Restaurant at Athenaeum House Hotel
Local Food Hero – Sponsored by Rewarding Times
- Darina Allen of Ballymaloe House
Best Casual Dining – Sponsored by Total Produce
- Clare – L’Arco Italian Restaurant
- Cork – Liberty Grill
- Kerry – The Roast House
- Limerick – Canteen
- Tipperary – Café Hans
- Waterford – Bodéga
Best Kids Size Me in Munster – Sponsored by Heinz & Kids Size Me
- Momo Restaurant
Best Gastro Pub – Sponsored by Bunzl McLaughlin
- Clare – The Cloister Restaurant & Bar
- Cork – Toddies at the Bulman
- Kerry – Allo’s Bar, Bistro Restaurant & Townhouse
- Limerick – Collins Bar Dooradoyle
- Tipperary – The Derg Inn
- Waterford – The Spinnaker Bar
Best Newcomer – Sponsored by Elavon
- Clare – Shannigan’s Gastro Pub
- Cork – Coqbull
- Limerick – AROI
- Tipperary – Lava Rock Restaurant
- Waterford – Burzza
Best Emerging Irish Cuisine in Munster – Sponsored by Odaios Foods
- Sage Restaurant
Best Wine Experience – Sponsored by Classic Drinks & Massottina
- Clare – The Cloister Restaurant & Bar
- Cork – The Black Pig
- Kerry – Sol y Sombra
- Limerick – Sash Restaurant
- Tipperary – Inch House Country House & Restaurant
- Waterford – Dennison’s Restaurant
Best Customer Service- Sponsored by TheTaste.ie
- Clare – The Dining Room at Gregans Castle Hotel
- Cork – Market Lane
- Kerry – The Chart House
- Limerick – The Mustard Seed at Echo Lodge
- Tipperary – The Peppermill
- Waterford – La Bohème Restaurant & Winebar
Notes for the Editor:
Aside from the main categories, the Irish Restaurant Awards also run industry category awards, with only one All-Ireland winner been chosen. The judging and selection process for the Industry Award categories differs from the Main Award category process. Only Members of the Restaurants Association of Ireland nominate for each of the awards in the Industry Categories with a list of finalists announced in May. These nominations are then judged by our National Awards Academy and independently assessed by our auditors before a final winner is determined in each category.
Best Cocktail Experience
Best Private Dining & Club Restaurant
Best World Cuisine
Best Seafood Experience
Best Cookery School
Best Eco-Friendly Restaurant
Best Digital Marketing
Voting in the Industry categories has now closed online. The winners of the Industry Categories will be announced at the All-Ireland event on 25th May, 2015. Tickets for the All-Ireland Event can be bought directly from the awards team on (01) 677 9901 or email@example.com
For further information contact:
Adrian Cummins, Chief Executive Officer
Restaurants Association of Ireland
Mobile: +353 (86) 826 3311
Telephone: +353 (1) 677 9901
Fax: +353 (1) 671 8414